This course will present an overview of cognitive psychology and its findings, theories, and approach. Cognitive psychology deals with how we acquire and use knowledge so the course will cover topics such as perception, attention, memory, language, reasoning, and problem solving.
Introduction Cognitive Psychology
- Define cognitive psychology.
- Identify key milestones in the development of cognitive psychology as a discipline.
- Discuss the importance of behavioral observation in cognitive psychology.
- Explain the role of the brain in cognitive functions.
Attention and Perception
- Explain the relationship between attention and cognition.
- Analyze the role of perception in cognitive psychology.
- Discuss the importance of visual perception.
- Describe the characteristics of primary memory.
- Describe the process of memory from perception to retrieval.
- Assess the unreliability of memory retrieval.
- Define language and lexicon.
- Evaluate key features of language.
- Describe the four levels of language structure and processing.
- Analyze the role of language processing in cognitive psychology.
Reasoning and Problem Solving
- Explain the decision-making and problem-solving processes.
- Analyze how emotion and culture affects decision making.
- Analyze the role of perception, attention, memory, and language in reasoning and problem solving.